Dan has been a lifelong student, devoted to enhancing his personal education. He is a big fan of YouTube and Audible books. Dan also enjoys exercise, including morning walks with his dogs, riding his bike, water rowing, and weight training. He also enjoys creative writing.
Dan’s professional passion is consistently providing excellent client service. His upbeat, responsive approach to projects, and his perceptive listening skills endear him to clients and colleagues alike. He has extensive technical experience and enjoys tackling complex tax issues.
Dan’s primary focus is early stage technology businesses. His clients include software license, SaaS developers, game studios, and bioscience ventures. Over the past 20 years, he has provided tax solutions to hundreds of emerging companies.
Dan co-leads Clark Nuber’s Technology and Game Studio Team. His clients rely on this team of technical specialists for assistance with business entity/structure selection, equity compensation planning, preparing for and executing exit event transactions, state tax nexus studies, international business structuring, claiming federal research credits, tax provisions, and state and federal tax return preparation services.
- Choice of entity considerations for early stage startups
- Preparing for and executing a tax efficient event
- Federal research credits (including the payroll tax credit)
- Tax provision support services
- Equity compensation plan review and plan operation (including restricted stock, stock options, and profit interest grant structuring)
- Net Operating Loss Limitation studies
- Debt restructure transactions
- Qualified Small Business Stock (Section 1202) planning
- State tax issues for technology-based companies
- Assisted over 400 start-up companies with structuring and/or exit events, equity compensation planning, and tax compliance.
- Successfully managed client tax audits, including negotiation of reduced assessments.
- Served as an expert witness in U.S. Tax Court matters.
- Assisted with hundreds of federal research credit claims.
- Frequent speaker/panelist/instructor on federal tax matters for startups and pass-through entities.
- Brigham Young University, B.S., Double Major: Business Finance/Accounting
- Brigham Young University, Masters in Accounting, with an emphasis on taxation
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants