Whether it’s water skiing, golfing, scuba diving, spending time with family, or attending sporting events, when he’s not hard at work in the office, Jeff can be found outdoors.
In fact, his enthusiasm for the outdoors contributed to a dangerous situation with a large kelp bed; he just narrowly survived a kelp attack while scuba diving. Who knew kelp was so vicious? Jeff’s level-headed nature got him out alive and it keeps him at the top of his game as a shareholder in the firm’s tax practice.
Jeff’s experience is very well rounded and he currently works with and advises many of the firm’s most affluent families and high net worth clients, as well as family and closely held businesses, ranging from the manufacturing and technology sectors to real estate. His role ranges from providing highly valued tax-only consultation to becoming a fully-fledged member of a client’s advisory board, to providing input on numerous business, family ownership and succession related issues. Jeff is also an Investment Advisor Representative for Clark Nuber and has in many cases acted as a “Personal CFO” for many affluent and high net worth families. His main practice includes wealth management for families and their related businesses, mergers and acquisitions and related purchases and sales of businesses. Before joining the firm, Jeff was with Ernst and Young in San Jose, California assisting Silicon Valley technology start-ups, public companies and related high net worth individuals and families with their business, tax, and wealth management issues.
- Family business consulting, including business owner and management succession planning, and ownership transition. Fully integrated and coordinated tax planning services provided to both the business and the overall family unit.
- Wealth management services: for current or potential affluent and high net worth individuals. Private company wealth transfer techniques, income, cash flow and estate tax planning, stock options, family partnerships, private foundations.
- Commercial and real estate businesses and their owners: business and tax planning, succession planning, stock option consulting, compensation and employment contract consulting, cost segregation studies.
- Mergers and acquisitions: performance of due diligence for both buyers and sellers and strategic discussion/negotiation of purchase price terms, and related issues.
- High end divorce/dissolution consultation blending tax, business valuation, balance sheet and cash flow modeling.
- Provided sell-side merger and acquisition advice and counsel for a $75 million sale of a closely held business. Structured the transaction to achieve maximum capital gain tax treatment for the respective owners.
- Provided cost segregation service for a $100 million hotel expansion project saving the client over $3 million in tax.
- Assisted in designing numerous deferred compensation and stock option plans for family businesses and early stage technology related companies. Early exercise and filing of Section 83(b) elections has saved clients millions of dollars in tax liability.
- Formed a family partnership to gift stock of a family business to children utilizing various discount mechanisms. Tax savings to the client approximated $15 million.
- Gifted stock in a closely held telecommunications company prior to venture capital and mezzanine financing, saving the client $12 to $15 million in potential estate tax.
- Provides guidance and the “little” things which cannot be taught to help clients achieve their life goals.
- Very cognizant of the value of “harmony” and the family unit.
- Has become close personal friends with many of his clients – a great way to go.
- Golden Gate University, M.S., Taxation, Magna Cum Laude
- Eastern Washington University, B.A., Business Administration, Magna Cum Laude
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Former Licensed Commercial Real Estate Agent