Using his legal training and a decade-and-a-half of experience with complex local, state, and multi-state tax matters, Joe has saved millions of dollars for his clients. He works with a wide variety of clients, from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies, as well as high net worth individuals and not for profit organizations.
In addition to solving problems and finding opportunities, he educates clients to they can operate more efficiently in an increasingly complex tax environment.
- Multistate income/franchise tax compliance and consulting
- Washington B&O tax consulting and planning
- State and local tax ruling requests and advising on tax impacts of major transactions
- Representing taxpayers in administrative appeals and negotiations with taxing authorities
- State sales and use tax, property tax, and real estate excise tax advisory services
- Manage state and city B&O tax compliance process for a major food products manufacturer.
- Prevailed at Washington Department of Revenue Appeals Division hearing, resulting in cancellation of a substantial B&O tax assessment against a medical practice.
- Negotiated favorable settlements with taxing authorities on an assortment of issues.
- Obtained positive letter rulings from state taxing authorities on behalf of a broad array of Clark Nuber clients
- Implemented restructuring that saved a Washington manufacturer over $1.5 million per year in B&O tax.
- Obtained six- and seven-figure B&O tax refunds for a range of clients, including professional service providers and technology companies.
- University of Washington School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D.
- Whitman College, B.A. in Environmental Studies and Politics, with Honors; B.A. in German Language and Literature
- Board Member, Treasurer, Snoqualmie Valley Preservation Alliance
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, California State Bar Association