She combines legal, tax, and mediation expertise into a distinctive approach that enables her to resolve conflicts, educate clients, and facilitate the creation of strong new organizations. In addition, she uses her authorial talents to write insightful content for Clark Nuber clients and the not-for-profit world at large. Prior to joining Clark Nuber, Karen had a solo law and tax practice for not-for-profit clients, was a tax manager in the not-for-profit industry group at Deloitte LLP in Seattle, and general counsel for a not-for-profit organization in New York City.
- Tax planning for not-for-profit organizations and private foundations
- Preparation and review of not-for-profit organization returns
- Consulting regarding tax exemption issues, qualifying for and maintaining tax exemption, excess benefit transactions, and executive compensation
- Preparation and review of applications for recognition of exemption and reinstatements
- Minimizing excise and unrelated business income tax exposure
- Facilitated new organizations in the organizational process from incorporation through obtaining a determination of tax exemption status.
- Obtained reinstatements of exemption for organizations automatically revoked for failure to file annual returns.
- Obtained corrections or changes of organizations’ public charity or private foundation status with the IRS.
- Successfully represented not-for-profit organizations in negotiations with the IRS regarding qualification for exemption and reducing unrelated business income tax liability.
- Practical Guide to the Form 990 by Clark Nuber, an on-line treatise published by CCH, contributing writer/editor.
- Clark Nuber Not-for-Profit Newsletter, contributing writer/editor.
- Brooklyn College, B.S. in Accounting, Summa Cum Laude
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- New York University School of Law, Masters of Law in Taxation
- Washington State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants