His extensive experience in the tech sector and with management teams in general means his skills are constantly in demand. From startup days to mergers and acquisitions to preparing for an IPO, Matt is always helping his clients get the most value for their hard work. When questions arise, his forensic accounting expertise helps settle disputes and reduce risk. It’s all part of helping his clients succeed.
- Technology and life sciences sector
- Angel and venture-backed companies
- Blockchain and cryptocurrency
- Forensic accounting
- Consulted with numerous SaaS, life sciences, and other technology companies on the accounting and disclosures of:
- SAFEs, convertible notes, and preferred stock financings,
- Stock options and restricted stock,
- Federal income tax (including R&D credits and CARES Act and other federal stimulus programs), international tax, and sales and excise tax,
- Mergers and acquisitions,
- The implementation of new accounting rules for revenue recognition and commissions accounting.
- Audited and otherwise assisted many companies prepare to raise funds through angels, venture capital, private equity offerings, and IPOs, including addressing various accounting and reporting issues, such as revenue recognition, business combinations, goodwill and intangible asset impairment, carve-outs, software capitalization, complex equity and debt financings, related-party transactions, and stock-based compensation.
- Recommended accounting treatment and footnote disclosure for an emerging e-commerce company in preparation for its first financial statement audit. The company had executed six rounds of preferred stock financing, several loans with conversion features, and detachable warrants, as well as other similar financing arrangements.
- Consulted with a software company regarding the proper accounting for its takeover by a private equity firm. This included merger accounting, accounting for stock options, and other stock-based compensation, as well as the allocation of the takeover price among the tangible and intangible assets.
- Eastern Washington University, B.A., Business Administration – Accounting and Management Information Systems
- INSEAD (France) and IMD (Switzerland), Executive Management and Leadership Training
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Gesa Credit Union, Supervisory Audit Committee
- InKlood, Advisory Board
- Prolaera, Advisory Board
- Alliance of Angels
- Technology Alliance, board member
- WTIA Cascadia Blockchain Council, member
- Seattle Public Library Foundation, emeritus board member
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners