Her work with public charities runs the gamut: from hospitals and social service agencies to arts and cultural organizations and trade associations. She also works with social welfare organizations, trade associations, and business leagues. Megan’s clients are often multi-entity concerns, frequently mixing different types of public charities and a variety of other exempt organizations such as social welfare organizations. This varied experience helps her craft a holistic approach to planning and strategy, delivering maximum results across the full spectrum of each client’s interests. She has special expertise in compensation studies, unrelated business income tax consulting, lobbying and political activities, member dues calculations for trade associations, and joint venture review and consulting.
- Consulting with regard to tax exemption issues, qualifying for and maintaining tax exemption, excess benefit transactions, and executive compensation
- Not-for-profit compensation studies
- Understand and plan for unrelated business income taxes, including review of contracts, joint venture agreements, expense allocations, and net operating losses
- Identified and advised clients on state, international, and other federal filing requirements related to alternative investments
- Complex public support calculations and analysis
- Advocacy, lobbying, and political activity consulting
- IRS correspondence, including penalty abatement requests and IRS audits
- Form 990, 990-T, and state tax compliance
- Assist organizations with various tax reporting responsibilities and provide daily consulting services on issues that impact their tax-exempt status.
- Develop public support projections for multiple organizations, including structuring of grant contracts based on revenue recognition principles and determination of when an organization may lose public charity status.
- Assist organizations in evaluating their activities for unrelated business income issues and planning to minimize tax liabilities.
- Consult regarding nondeductible member dues calculations for trade associations.
- Obtained reinstatement of exemption for an organization automatically revoked for failure to file annual returns
- Managing editor and contributing writer, Practical Guide to Form 990 by Clark Nuber, a treatise published by CCH, a Wolters Kluwer company.
- Assisted with teaching classes on Form 990, Form 990-T, and unrelated business income.
- University of Washington, Masters in Professional Accounting in Taxation
- University of Washington, B.A. in Business Administration, concentration in Accounting
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
- TEGE EO Council, member
- AICPA Exempt Organizations Technical Resource Panel