You can imagine Mitch is a fun guy to have around the office. He keeps the atmosphere upbeat while maintaining a key role in the firm’s audit practice.
As a shareholder, Mitch works primarily with not-for-profit and governmental organizations assisting them with fundraising issues, audits for federally funded programs, and improving operations with best practice, compliance, and internal control consulting. His previous experience as an auditor for the U.S. Department of Commerce and in the accounting department at Yellowstone National Park helped to create an exceptional and well-rounded knowledge base.
- Heads up the firm’s governmental services practice
- State and local government audits, financial statement preparation, and consulting
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Healthcare and senior facilities
- Community colleges
- Required audits for federally funded programs
- Forensic accounting
- Data mining
- Internal controls over financial reporting, fraud, and compliance
- Performance auditing, benchmarking, and operational reviews
- Served as interim controller at a local hospital for four months.
- Identified savings and obtained refunds for many not-for-profit organizations overpaying unrelated business income tax.
- Helped numerous start-ups (not-for-profit and governmental) with formation issues, policies and procedures, accounting systems, and governance and budgeting processes.
- Helped a growing city right-size its policies and procedures for its current size and projected growth.
- Perform outsourced internal audit procedures and risk assessments on the State Auditor’s Office and Department of Financial Institutions.
- Utah State University, B.S. in Accounting and Finance, minors in Economics and Geology
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants (WSCPA)
- WSCPA Governmental Conference and Governmental Committee, co-chaired conference for two years
- WSCPA Not-for-Profit Committee and Foundation Board
- Institute of Management Accountants
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Board experience at The Hearthstone Retirement Living (board chair), Kent Valley Hockey Association, Washington Society of Association Executives, and Make-A-Wish Foundation (board chair)
- LeadingAge Washington Finance Committee
- Practical Guide to Form 990 by Clark Nuber, an online treatise published by CCH, contributing writer/reviewer